From Then to Now
In 2020 Kimpton Hotel Allegro invites you to join us for a year-long celebration as we pay homage to our roots. Like Chicago itself, the site of the Kimpton Hotel Allegro has a long, storied history. Founded as The Bismarck Hotel in 1894 by Emil and Karl Eitel, the hotel has lived several lives, and it wasn’t until after a full demolition in 1924 that the Art Deco-inspired sensation that houses Kimpton Allegro today was constructed.
It was the Eitel brothers, Emil, Karl and their siblings (Robert, Max and Otto, who later followed them to Chicago) who oversaw the hotel’s first rise to prominence at the turn of the 20th century, through its grand re-opening in 1926 as part of the renowned "Eitel Block" and into the 1930's and 40's where the hotel hosted stars of stage and screen as well as other influencers who helped shape the character of the city itself.
Take a look below at the timeline, and the role the Eitel brothers played in the evolution of 171 W. Randolph Street.